Author Topic: Using Sandbox scenes in custom Ogre3d app  (Read 6683 times)

trilobite

• View Profile
Using Sandbox scenes in custom Ogre3d app
« on: December 20, 2013, 04:50:31 PM »
Seeking confirmation here.
May I incorporate Sandbox creations into my personal Ogre3d application?
I am being forced to abandon Caelum (too borked with all the changes to Ogre3d).
I would like to substitute the SkyX framework into my own app.
Is this still part of the main idea for SkyX and Hydrax?... and are they part of the Sandbox.
Thanks.

Xavyiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Using Sandbox scenes in custom Ogre3d app
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 12:43:07 AM »
Hi trilobite,

Unfortunately you can't read Sandbox scenes in any Ogre3D app. Paradise Sandbox uses a internal binary format for projects/scenes representation and it's not possible to load them without access to Paradise Engine.

Anyway, you of course can use SkyX or Hydrax in your own projects! =)

Xavier

trilobite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 01:42:44 AM »
Well, that is most unfortunate... :'(

The Sandobox UI is an excellent interface for designing and prototyping Hydrax and SkyX scenes for export.
There are so many complex variable combinations for Hydrax and SkyX -- the results of which are hard to visualize in just code alone. For example, if I am coding an app with static scene settings for an Ogre3d app, and using the SkyX plugin, I hard-code in the settings either into the app's C++ code, or as an *.ini or *.xml file then run the app to see the outcome, then repeat. Extremely inefficient. Or I could run Paradise Sandbox and prototype the scene, then write down the settings from the Sandbox UI, and put those in my *.xml. All very inefficient.

How about this idea?
Create an import/export utility for the Sandbox PRO app. Not hard to do. Use tinyxml. Having the ability to import/export Hydrax and SkyX scene settings from/to a generic file format would provide a powerful incentive to purchase the PRO version of Paradise Sandbox.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 01:45:08 AM by trilobite »

Xavyiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 12:08:23 PM »
Hi again =)

How about this idea?
Create an import/export utility for the Sandbox PRO app. Not hard to do. Use tinyxml. Having the ability to import/export Hydrax and SkyX scene settings from/to a generic file format would provide a powerful incentive to purchase the PRO version of Paradise Sandbox.
Yeah, that's a good idea, but there are two little problems (although one is not that little!) :
  • Paradise Sandbox is a product for end-users, mainly architects and 3d hobbyists, so this export option should be hidden some way (regular users don't know about what Hydrax or SkyX are)
  • The Hydrax version used in Paradise Sandbox is the new 2.0, which I want to release soon (commercially) but I need to find out some time for a couple of remaining things.

So, that said, I will try at first to finish Hydrax 2.0 + demos and commercially release it (unfortunately I have to pay the bills, I can't work "for free" anymore like I used to do :( )

Then, I will think about the option of generating a human-readable file for Hydrax and SkyX config using the Sandbox!

Hope being able to accomplish all these things in less than 2 months.

Cheers,

Xavier

trilobite

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 09:57:33 PM »
Fair enough. I have been following the development of SkyX and Hydrax for many years on the Ogre3d forum.
And I have been amazed at your dedication and progress.
If you are going to release commercial versions of Hydrax and SkyX plugins, the problem remains on how best to prototype various configurations of these versatile libraries.
Anyway, just wanted to plant a seed...
Thanks for all your hard work.

Gennyallan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 01:13:25 PM »
This is rather good for me.

Inzakiis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 06:11:34 AM »
I can use it offline.